Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Nervous and excited!

I am SOOO excited. A little nervous and I REALLY dread the packing part....but I am sooo excited. I can only hope this year is as much fun as past years have been. The past two years I was a driver for the event. That is fun!! But I have always wanted to be one of the runners. I committed to running back in December. I hadn't been running at ALL! So after the new year rolled around, I figured I'd better start training. All you Sole2Soul Sisters out there....ya know how I started training? With the Couch to 5k program. The same program that you are doing right now. And you know what...I couldn't even run for 60 seconds at a time. But ya know what...a couple of weeks ago I ran for a solid 8 miles. So I hope you all understand how far this can take you. You just have to be determined!!

But anywho, so I've been training and am pretty sure I am ready. I am a little worried about the hills I might encounter. I mean, we don't have many hills down here in South Alabama. Most of my running is done on flat ground. But I'm gonna try my best. I drive up to Birmingham tomorrow and hand off some supplies to Team A around 8:00pm. Team A will start running from Muscadine AL early Thursday morning (I am on Team C....or as I am calling us, The Super C's). After hopefully a good nights rest, I meet up with the rest of my team at 9:30am Thursday morning. We roll at 10:45 and we will start running somewhere around 1:30 Thursday afternoon. There are 7 runners on my team and 4 drivers. I'll be up to run about every 12 hours or so. There is still time to give to the cause if you are interested.....Run for the Reason. We will finish up our relay sometime mid-afternoon Saturday on Dauphin Island with a celebration. Be sure and check back often because I will be blogging from the road...

Here are a few pictures of years past....
2008
Me being silly. In '08 and '09 we STARTED on Dauphin Island and ran to the north part of the state. We always try to get rooms for free and the Sea Lab were gracious enough to let us overnight in their dorms. Well, it's been a long time since I have slept in a dorm and to be honest...I didn't do much sleeping. So I was a little delirous the whole trip...

The baton exchange for Team A to Team B. The fun every year is to prank out the baton before you hand it off to the next team. For this prank we had taped plastic bottles filled with rocks to each end of the baton.

2009
Sometimes we dress up in costumes for the baton hand off. Here, we decided on a Hawaiin theme....

Picture taking looking out of the lead vehicle. Somebody sits in the back to help watch out for the runner. Give them water if needed or help run off any dogs that approach. And then the RV stays in the back. The two vehicles help form a barrier around the runner for protection.

No comments:

Post a Comment